Monday, November 2, 2009

What's Going On In High School Weight Rooms?

Jim Kielbaso MS, CSCS

At this time of year, I get to see what’s going on inside a lot of high school weight rooms, and I’ve got to tell you something – it’s downright scary. The four things I see most often are:

1. Lack of supervision

2. Poor technique

3. Poor effort

4. Incomplete routines

Lack of supervision – The problem here usually is not that there isn’t a coach around. The problem is that the coach simply isn’t doing anything. I’ve said it a million times, and I’ll repeat it again – God bless high school coaches for giving up so much of their time to the kids. It’s inspiring to me to see coaches give so much up to work with young kids. What’s uninspiring is watching a coach sit around, not paying attention to what’s going on, not correcting technique, not motivating kids to give better effort and basically not coaching.

For the rest of this article, donate to Cyberpump! and explore one of the biggest online libraries of common sense training information! http://www.cyberpump.com/preview.html

No comments: