Saturday, July 17, 2010

How to Transform Your Physique #78

Yesterday has normally been a cheat day all day for what I eat. Since I am tightening things up the only cheat meal I had was dinner. Long time readers know that I encourage cheat days/meals.  So here was yesteday's breakfast:

6 egg white omelet with no fat cheese
1/2 cup oatmeal (not instant)
1 cup of green tea.

For supplements I have always taken a multiple vitamin. I figure why not since they are cheap and if they do help even just a tiny bit I will be better off.  I also take a fiber supplement. Colon problems run in my family so I have started this recently. I just pop a couple chewables.  I also take red yeast rice. Another cheap supplement that has been tied to helping keep cholesterol in check. Another family genetic thing I inherited as I mentioned in the past to Cyberpump readers. I only eat red meat once a week and that would be only on Friday or my one cheat meal that I will start out keeping that's Saturday night dinner.

Mid morning I had a whey protein drink and this was low in carbs as well. I won't make one with over 10 grams of carbs.

For lunch I had the following:

Salad composed of the following:
Spinach
Cucumbers
A few carrots
A few hot pepper rings (to spice it up!)
A small amount of vinaigrette

Grilled turkey breast cutlets
1 cup of green tea

I worked out yesterday as well. I've had to make changes to my routine.  After next year I will be more than likely moving to working out at a local gym that has a full line of very capable machines.  Why next year? I have one teenager left in the house. ;)  I don't do any spine bearing exercises anymore. My low back is still giving me issues due to all the nasty abuse I gave it when I was younger.  So, squats and deadlifts are out.  More details on how I am trying to conquer that in another entry.   I also don't like to bench press anymore either. The reason is the way my joints feel.  It feels well....like I am 2 quarts short of oil in my joints. When I was on vacation I got to use a bunch of different machines at a Gold's gym and loved the variety and also the ability to move quickly between exercises without setup, etc.  And, without joint creakiness.  But, believe it or not, the standing shoulder press doesn't feel creaky in my joints.  Maybe this is because it was never a staple of my program over the decades.

Keep in mind that I have a body that has a base of over three decades of lifting so this type of routine is customized to me based on my training history.

Past injuries I am also working around besides the low back abuse and injuries are a torn right lat, a pulled left hamstring (slight), and a right knee that I injured as a junior in high school and tweaked powerlifting once as well.  Yes, you will likely pay even for these types of long ago injuries.  My dad just had shoulder replacement surgery at 78 years old. He dislocated it back when he was in his 30's.   All of my injuries were my own fault and being stupid.

Long time readers also know that I like sled pulling for cardio. It's low impact, intense, and feels like you are running sprints.  I recently upgraded my sled to a Sorinex Root Hog. It's a great piece for sled pulling variety and of course builit very well. 

I did 4 trips (about 50-70 yards one way). I don't know the exactly distance but it's at least consistent. It's a certain mailbox down my street and back.   I pulled for 3 trips and then pulled out the lawn mower attachment.  This thing kicks your ass even more than pulling because you are using your upper body as well as lower body.  Here is a video of the Root Hog so you can see how I am using it:



The temperature here was 90+ degrees so I was drenched when I was done.  I normall do a few sets of pushups and crunches alternating between the two for 25 reps (currently).  No, this is not to true failure.  I do them very strictly as well as I don't want anymore injuries.

After the workout was another shake. I was on vacation yesterday by the way.

For dinner, my cheat meal on Friday, it was Papa Murphy's take and bake pizza.  The Chicago Stuffed one. I had 3 pieces.  I had two small pieces of cheesecake for dessert.  I will cheat again at tonight's meal but will have no sweets.  If I don't see the results I want, I will cut out this second cheat meal and will secondly tighten up on total calories of the one cheat meal.

Don't be surprised if you see some crazy type of splits in my working of my body.  A lot of it is working out on the fly as I train my two teenagers.  Fitting stuff in between their sets.

Today both of them train.  They will do full body workouts. I am a big believer in full body workouts for athletes to save time of having to go to the gym 5-6 times a week and the body is a WHOLE after all not a sum of disconnected body parts.  Do they compete by bodypart?  No, they don't. They use their whole body on the court/field!

Stay Tuned!

No comments: